History

  • A welcoming place that engages every child.

    Having educated and cared for children since 1962, Hillsdon reflects its history with its beautiful Heritage-listed building and established gardens and rainforest, combined with contemporary learning expertise and technology to ensure our children receive the richest possible learning opportunities. 

    The building now known as Hillsdon Kindergarten was built in 1897 by the Simonds family. It was known as Pen-y-Byn which is Welsh for top of the hill. It was purchased by a group of parents in 1961 and after renovations it opened in 1962 as the Hillsdon Kindergarten. 

    The parent group who formed the founding committee did so after the closure of a kindergarten in the area that had been run by a Miss Brown since around 1940, firstly in a church hall and then later in her home.  Miss Brown retired and returned to live in England.

    Hillsdon kindergarten was originally run as the Toowong Kindergarten Association and became incorporated as the Hillsdon Kindergarten Association Incorporated in 1981. Hillsdon became affiliated with the Creche and Kindergarten Association soon after its opening in 1962 and then became affiliated with The Gowrie Qld in 2011.